Georgia Tech Research Institute
Cobb County Research Facility, Smyrna, GA
Renovation of GTRI’s six building campus comprising one and two story 1970s era buildings. In order to justify the renovation to building owners, an energy model was built to demonstrate positive energy impact and potential utility cost reduction.
▪ MEP/FP design including the addition of two new mechanical rooms.
▪ Extensive fire protection and fire alarm system modifications.
▪ New backflow preventers for Buildings 1 and 5.
▪ Development of demolition drawings and controls drawings.
▪ Redesign of the medium voltage electrical distribution system including replacement of medium voltage transformers serving each building.
▪ New life safety generator design.
▪ New lighting throughout the complex.
▪ New air handlers and new air distribution systems throughout complex.
▪ New unit heaters in Building 2.
▪ New ductwork required to accommodate new systems.
▪ New direct digital controls system design.
▪ New domestic water main piping within the tunnel interconnecting Buildings 1, 2, 3, and 4.
▪ Instantaneous water heating solutions for Buildings 2, 3, and 4.
▪ 170,000 square feet.
This complex houses members of the Sensors and Electromagnetic Applications Laboratory (SEAL) and the Aerospace, Transportation and Advanced Systems Laboratory (ATAS), and offers an array of high-tech indoor and outdoor laboratory testing facilities.